Food During Pregnancy
- You only need to increase your food intake by 300 calories per day (1-2 snacks).
- The goal during the first trimester is to gain no more than 5 pounds and to not lose more than 5 pounds.
- The expected weight gain after the first trimester is ½ to 1 pound per week.
- If you have a healthy pre-pregnancy weight, than the expected total weight gain is 25-35 pounds.
- Red meat should not be consumed undercooked. The center of the meat should not be pink. Burgers and steaks should be medium well to well.
- Seafood should be limited to no more than two 6 ounce servings per week. DO NOT EAT mackerel, swordfish, tilefish or shark.
- No raw sushi.
- No unpasteurized cheeses (such as Brie, Feta)
- If you have more detailed questions, they can be addressed at your first prenatal visit.